Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Review: Rest Inn Peace- Bonnie Bernard

Summary:  Welcome to Rest Inn Peace -where life begins at the end of the road and murder is sometimes funny.  Cobra Carpenter has trouble with substance abuse, staying out of jail, and seeing things that aren’t really there. A big city boy, he’s been released from prison (again) just in time to inherit his dead grandmother’s inn on the outskirts of Yellowstone National Park. He has also just been granted full custody of his twelve year old kid, Zoe, whose only non-imaginary friend is a kleptomaniac hypochondriac who lives in fear of rabies and bacon. Zoe inherited Cobra’s flair for seeing things that aren’t really there, and he is none too happy about it. To complicate matters, the inn’s manager, Regina Oxford, insists those imaginary things that aren’t really there…are really there; every dragon, fairy, zombie, talking animal, ghost, and even the creepy winking statue. This includes the imaginary creatures that live at Rest Inn Peace, and the ones who rent rooms by the night. Cobra hates the crazy inn and plans an escape. But where will he and Zoe go? The world outside is crumbling; people are hungry and desperate. Here in rural Broken Spur Valley, food is plentiful, water is fresh, and life is good. Well, it’s mostly good. There are, of course, those pesky murders in town…that started the day Cobra and Zoe moved in. Pull off your shoes and traipse through a land of fairies, dragons, trolls, and an assortment of misfit humans. Rest Inn Peace is a charming bed and breakfast nestled in a magical grove, next to a cemetery packed with brain-starved zombies. Oh, and a word to the wise; beware of cross-eyed flying lizards with an addiction to eggplant and cauliflower.Pages: 352 Rating: 3.5 Stars Review: Rest Inn Peace was week 5's book in our book group. I really liked the premise if this book because I enjoy paranormal books that contain more than one paranormal creature and this book just about had them all. I also enjoyed thoe whole murder mystery but something about the story didn't jive with me. I'm not sure if I liked it jumping between the different characters either. I did like how it was kind of for all ages if it didn't have the swears lol. But I think that both adults and kids would get a kick out if the story. I found it interesting how I was kept guessing who the bad guy was and when I found out it was someone I would have never guessed in a million years.  Zoe was an awesome character. She had a rough life for such a young child but I liked how it left her very sarcastic. I'm glad she got to let lose and be herself at the Inn. At first I didn't really like Cobra but he grew on me. I think he has a lot of potential as a character and he needs to work on being a father. Reggie was great, I just felt bad that she didn't get to experience every much in her life, but hopefully that will change. Faest was my absolute favourite character. I WANT HIM!! This was an entertaining read. I liked how the author could have you laughing one second and crying the next. I would read more books by Bonnie Bernard to see if her writing style is the same in every book or if this was a one time thing. I would recommend this book to paranormal lovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment