Monday, January 27, 2014

Review: Why We Broke Up- Daniel Handler

Title: Why We Broke Up
Author: Daniel Handler
Pages: 354
Rating: 3/5 Stars
Summary: I'm telling you why we broke up, Ed. I'm writing it in this letter, the whole truth of why it happened.

Min Green and Ed Slaterton are breaking up, so Min is writing Ed a letter and giving him a box. Inside the box is why they broke up. Two bottle caps, a movie ticket, a folded note, a box of matches, a protractor, books, a toy truck, a pair of ugly earrings, a comb from a motel room, and every other item collected over the course of a giddy, intimate, heartbreaking relationship. Item after item is illustrated and accounted for, and then the box, like a girlfriend, will be dumped.
Review: I originally picked this book up because I thought the idea of it was cool. I was also looking forward to it having pictures. My biggest problem of this book was the weight. It weighed like 10lbs making it very hard to actually read. I could only hold it up for so long and then my arms would be noodles. I liked the idea of the book having drawings, but I feel like the execution was poor. I just thought the drawings were a bit juvenile and I would have liked them better if they have been actual photographs of the said items. 
I found that I couldn't really connect to Min as a character, I just didn't get her as a person. I also couldn't relate to any of her references to the old movies (and yes I know they were all made up by the author). I wasn't expecting the twist with Ed, so that did shock me. I do have a few unanswered questions. Do Al and min ever hook up? Also was that old lady the actress they thought she was? Did they ever throw the party for her? Or did I miss those parts all together.
I don't know if I would recommend this book to anyone, not because the actual story was bad but it just wasn't for me.





About this author

Daniel Handler is the author of the novels The Basic Eight, Watch Your Mouth, Adverbs, and as Lemony Snicketa sequence of children's novels collectively entitled "A Series of Unfortunate Events." He also plays the accordion.

For more information, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_H...

No comments:

Post a Comment