Sunday, June 15, 2014

Review: How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

Title: How I Live Now
Author: Meg Rosoff
Pages: 194
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Summary: “Every war has turning points and every person too.”

Fifteen-year-old Daisy is sent from Manhattan to England to visit her aunt and cousins she’s never met: three boys near her age, and their little sister. Her aunt goes away on business soon after Daisy arrives. The next day bombs go off as London is attacked and occupied by an unnamed enemy.

As power fails, and systems fail, the farm becomes more isolated. Despite the war, it’s a kind of Eden, with no adults in charge and no rules, a place where Daisy’s uncanny bond with her cousins grows into something rare and extraordinary. But the war is everywhere, and Daisy and her cousins must lead each other into a world that is unknown in the scariest, most elemental way.

A riveting and astonishing story.
Review: Ever since I found out that this book was becoming a movie I really wanted to give it a go. I really liked it but it was a little weird for my taste. I did't even care about the incest parts, just parts of the story were confusing. I actually thought this was a historical novel taking place during World War 2, but I was wrong. I really would have loved to get the story happening on Edward's end as well. I'm a bit confused if they could actually communicate telepathically or if that was just them being crazy. I really needed things explained better.
Maybe the movie will better explain things ahah. I would recommend this this novel, just not to people looking for an accurate historical story.



About this author

Meg Rosoff was born in Boston and had three or four careers in publishing and advertising before she moved to London in 1989, where she lives now with her husband and daughter. Formerly a Young Adult author, Meg has earned numerous prizes including the highest American and British honors for YA fiction: the Michael L. Printz Award and the Carnegie Medal.

No comments:

Post a Comment