Friday, August 15, 2014

Review: Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

Title: Anya's Ghost
Author: Vera Brosgol
Pages: 221
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Summary: Anya could really use a friend. But her new BFF isn't kidding about the "Forever" part. Of all the things Anya expected to find at the bottom of an old well, a new friend was not one of them. Especially not a new friend who’s been dead for a century. Falling down a well is bad enough, but Anya's normal life might actually be worse. She's embarrassed by her family, self-conscious about her body, and she's pretty much given up on fitting in at school. A new friend—even a ghost—is just what she needs. Or so she thinks. Spooky, sardonic, and secretly sincere, Anya's Ghost is a wonderfully entertaining debut from author/artist Vera Brosgol.
Review:I just happened to have done a graphic novel book haul from bookoutlet and this was one of the books that I added to my cart and purchased. I'm really glad I grabbed it because I really loved it. It's a funny and scary coming of age novel. I loved the illustrations, I loved the "shades of grey" colours and the glossy pages.  I think Anya was hilarious. I really loved the excuses she tried to use to get out of going to school. I did like Emily in the beginning, but then I didn't, but I won't spoil anything.  This is an amazing read that is both hysterical and scary. I would totally read another novel by Vera Brosgol and about Anya. I would recommend this to lovers of ghost stories and also to those who are fans of graphic novels.


About this author

Vera Brosgol was born in Moscow, Russia in 1984 and moved to the United States when she was five. She received a diploma in Classical Animation from Sheridan College, and currently works at Laika Inc. in Portland, Oregon drawing storyboards for feature animation. She has done illustration work for clients such as Nickelodeon, Sony Computer Entertainment, and Simon & Schuster. Her first graphic novel, Anya's Ghost, was published in 2011 by First Second Books. She loves knitting, baking, and trying not to kill her plants. She hopes you are enjoying looking at her drawings!

No comments:

Post a Comment