Sunday, July 13, 2014

Review: From Gods by Mary Ting

Title: From Gods
Author: Mary Ting
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Summary: Did you just see a flash of lightning across the sky on a clear sunny day? It’s not from Mother Nature. It is most likely from Mason Grand, swoon-worthy demigod, one of Zeus’s descendants. 
Skylar Rome is supposed to be having the best summer ever before she heads off to college. Little did she know, her whole life was about to change while visiting her cousin. Nearly drowning at the beach due to unknown forces, one of the Grand brothers she’d just met, Mason, saves her life. Cool, collected, mysterious, and dangerously good-looking, Skylar is drawn to him from the start. Though she knows he is the type of guy good girls stayed away from, it seems he is always saving her life, and the attraction was inevitable. 
Upon meeting the brothers, strange things begin to happen. When she accidentally kills one of the brothers, it throws her life into turmoil, as they search to find the answers. Implausibly, she gets caught up in a world of the decedents of ancient gods, all who have super powers. Not only is her discovery difficult to accept, evil beings are after her. Running out of time and running for her life, she must unravel a mystery. What do they want from her? Forced into a battle set into motion long before she was born, will she find the answers, or will she die trying?
Review: I am a sucker for Greek mythology in books so I knew I needed this one in my life. From Gods was a quick and entertaining read that left me wanting more. I loved being on this journey of self discovery with Skylar. There were a couple of spots where I found the book a bit jumpy but otherwise it held my attention and I almost didn't put it down until I was finished.
At the beginning Skylar's character bugged me because she so easily changed her mind on certain events based on what Mason had told her, even though she knew she was right. Once that stopped I could like her character. I did enjoy the tension between Skylar and Mason and also the romance with Nick and Kayla, which I hope they will get their own book. The character that I thought showed the most growth was Mason and I'm super happy about that.
I would recommend this novel to mythology lovers. I can't wait to find out what else is in store for these characters.

About this author

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorMClarke
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CrossroadsBook
Blog: http://www.marytingbooks.blogspot.com/
Twitter @MaryTing https://twitter.com/MaryTing

Mary Ting resides in Southern California with her husband and two children. She enjoys oil painting and making jewelry. Writing her first novel, Crossroads Saga, happened by chance. It was a way to grieve the death of her beloved grandmother, and inspired by a dream she once had as a young girl. When she started reading new adult novels, she fell in love with the genre. It was the reason she had to write one-Something Great. Why the pen name, M Clarke? She tours with Magic Johnson Foundation to promote literacy and her children’s chapter book-No Bullies Allowed.

No comments:

Post a Comment