Thursday, July 24, 2014

Review: Landry Park by Bethany Hagen

Title: Landry Park
Author: Bethany Hagen
Series: Landry Park, #1
Pages: 374
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Summary: Downton Abbey meets The Selection in this dystopian tale of love and betrayal In a fragmented future United States ruled by the lavish gentry, seventeen-year-old Madeline Landry dreams of going to the university. Unfortunately, gentry decorum and her domineering father won't allow that. Madeline must marry, like a good Landry woman, and run the family estate. But her world is turned upside down when she discovers the devastating consequences her lifestyle is having on those less fortunate. As Madeline begins to question everything she has ever learned, she finds herself increasingly drawn to handsome, beguiling David Dana. Soon, rumors of war and rebellion start to spread, and Madeline finds herself and David at the center of it all. Ultimately, she must make a choice between duty - her family and the estate she loves dearly - and desire.
Review: Ever since I heard about this book I thought it sounded amazing and wanted to read it. I really like the world that the author has created, it's a mixed between dystopian and Victorian. I also enjoyed the mystery, even though most of it could guess what was happening or going to happen. I liked that there was a bit of romance, but it was rather confusing to try and sort through ahah.  I loved that our heroine fought for what she thought was right even if it was the opposite of what her family and friends believed. But boy, was she stupid with boys, finally at the very end of the book she admits to what I had wanted her to from the very beginning. If I was in her shoes it would have been harder for me to choose one of them. I loved the surprise character twist at the end. I really enjoyed this read and I am excited to see what will happen next. I would recommend Landry Park to those who like dystopian and/ or Victorian reads.



About this author


I'm a born and bred Kansas Citian, meaning I can tolerate jazz for brief amounts of time and I'm offended by dry rub barbecue. I grew up reading Charlotte Bronte, Jane Austen, and all things King Arthur. When I’m not working at the library or running around with the kids and the husband, I’m writing or thinking about writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment